Friday, April 3, 2015

Japanese Figure News

Years ago, it seemed much simpler to get pretty much all the Japanese figure, action figure and model kit news one could need in one easy place.  Ngee Khiong.  I never noticed this guy miss a toy; if he did, I suppose it wasn't one I would be interested in anyways.

In the wake after Ngee Khiong shutting down (a few years ago) my way of getting news has become much more complex.  I basically rss a TON of Japanese toy news sites (TAG Hobby, Tomopop, Gunjap) and stores (HLJ, AmiAmi, Hobby Search).  I even rss shows, games and books I like on My Figure Collection.  All-in-all, I have about 60 sites I follow.  TAG Hobby seems to be the best, but it definitely misses some announcements.

As not local, non-Japanese speakers, what are people doing to keep track of what's coming out in the world of Japanese toys?  Although I couldn't live without it, I know rss is actually fairly unpopular.  Forums?  Stores?  Luck of the Internet gods?  I'd love an all-in-one spot to pop onto for 20 minutes, instead of scrolling through hundreds of posts, most of which are redundant, every single day.

Tomopop showed promise in the past, but they seem to simply disseminate Japanese sites, and not terribly well, often getting details wrong.  Maybe I should do a post listing and reviewing the sites I follow.

Post your toy following habits below; let's figure this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment